Thursday December 28th:
I'm up for breakfast, which for anyone who knows me, is a major feat... especially when the sun has not yet risen. Frankly if the big ball of light at the centre of the universe can't be bothered, why should my heavenly body, either? The early sleep has made me bright-eyed and bushy-tailed by 7:00am. That's great if you're a squirrel, but Mosbys are less cute under such conditions. Yes, this is deepest (and currently darkest) Scotland and as I tuck into some corn flakes and toast, it's only just starting to get light outside. As it was already getting dark when we arrived yesterday, it's my first chance to see the landscape near the hotel. Through the damp weather and clouds it's possible to see the nearby hills, cloaked in mist. It's very picturesque, so the camera is quickly produced. This is a country that doesn't skimp on the scenery.

With Carmel and Nancye not due until various times after lunch, today is really a 'make plans' kind of day. The Australian contingent will be with us soon enough (probably) so Sue and I take a drive around the local area, not going too far, but allowing Sue to show me some of the nearer places she wants to show the others in the coming days. Within in a few minutes we're within about thirty foot of a pair of deer and there's quite the feeling of excitement. Urban boy that I am, I feel like I'm in the wild, depsite the fact I'm a few feet from the road. Later there's more sedate wildlife when we stop to photograph some completely unimpressed cows (yes, probably peach-flavoured if you're reading this, Shaleah). There's also an impressive view of the Glenfinnan monument and the local church, both of which we'll be returning to later.

We're back in plenty of time to the hotel, but misjudge Carmel's arrival. I'm standing outside the hotel and halfway across the road when I see her and her son Calum walkign up form the train station (about five minutes walk away). For what it's worth, I'm later told they see my puzzled reaction from a distance and just think I'm a drunk Scot standing in the middle of the road. I help get their luggage to the rooms and we sit down in the bar where we talk to owners Keiran and Ina. With a few hours to go until Nancye arrives we head down the road to the edges of Fort William (about 20 minutes drive) where Carmel and Calum buy some clothes to be going on with. There's no sign of their luggage arriving today and we can only cross our fingers it will arrive soon. Cpats and wooly jumpers are on sale at very reasonable prices and I make a mental note to spend some £ before I leave next week.

Nancye arrives, tired and flustered but ever optimistic, heavy suitcase traling behind her at around 5:00pm. It's already dark and so we all decide not to do anything too dramatic. We eat in the bar again...Keiran's award-winning food proving to fill us all up. Then it's off to bed with Veronica again, after I download the pix I've taken so far to my laptop. Tomorrow is another day... Friday if my memory isn't totally frazzled.

Leave a Reply