There's no such things as 'average' weekends.

Late Thursday night the boiler at the house went into overdrive for no apparent reason and we noticed that it was getting very hot very quickly just before midnight. Thankfully we managed to shut it down and a repairman gave it a safety-check so that it was possible to use it again. Part of me is tempted to think this was a last metaphysical joke on Roy's behalf.

On Friday it was my grandfather's funeral and it was good that we didn't get the requisite stormy skies and bleak weather... in fact it was relatively sunny and pleasant which I like to think is the much better way to experience a celebration of someone's life. It was interesting to see some old faces that I hadn't seen in years and meet new ones and I think the food and drink afterwards gave everyone a chance to toast in style. The Order of Service booklet I designed seemed to go down well so that makes it all worthwhile.

A much-needed break on Saturday/Sunday with a BBQ over in Kippax. I've known Karen (above, left) for years (we dated as teenagers....oh toooooo many years ago) and though life has some times been a bit turbulent, life has usually buffeted us back into each other's orbits as friends before too long to compare stories of deep woe, huge hilarity or just bitch about life in general. This was my first chance to catch up with her since her 39th+1 surprise birthday in February so it was good to shoot the breeze and meet some of the people in her life now. The BBQ was a birthday bash for one at her friends, Beth, and though I didn't know anyone else there to begin with, we were all eventually setting the world to rights (and then breaking it into small shrill pieces again) until around 3:00am.

I fell asleep the minute my head touched the pillow and though I woke early I decided to doze until I knew Karen was up and about or at least tapping away at the keyboard in her attic room. Sat out in Karen's garden for much of the morning (hangovers, what hangovers?) as it was glorious sunshine - the breeze disguised how hot it was actually getting and now my arms look like someone's painted them bright red. I can only hope that it fades from burnt umber to a healthy tan.

Tomorrow the weather will be back to basics. I may still be a lobster.

*Edit: Yes, it's morning and my face looks and feels like I got 'botox by proxy' *sigh*

2 Responses so far.

  1. You little smasher!!
    Love ya, Karenxxxxx

  2. Aren't I just? Enjoy your hols. :)

    John
    x

Leave a Reply