Leg two of my trip took me to Denver. Heatwave: 80 degrees. My friend Kit (whose wedding I attended in Biarritz last year) was getting ready to graduate from law school. As I'd promised/threatened to visit them - and Kit's cousin Holly - on my next viable trip, it seemed that this was the best opportunity and though it was mainly a family gathering, I was made to feel welcome (and, after all, I had met most of the family last year!). Holly and I were drafted in to help set up the picnic in the park and by the time everyone arrived we'd comandeered some more helpful hands and the afternoon went well. Where else in the world can you get lawyers, hot-dogs and blow-up monkeys? (On second thoughts, don't answer that question). Given the weather, it was my idea to grab some water-pistols to entertain the kids. As usually happens, it was the adults that had the most fun with those!

Kit and Ariel headed off to Vegas for a few days celebration, so Holly had arranged to show me the sights, sounds, smells and skyline of Denver. She did a great job. Downtown Denver reminds me of Manchester could be like if it was clean, tidy, more welcoming and hotter. The restaurants are full or great aromas and friendly service. Come Monday and it was off to the Rocky Mountains - about an hour's drive. Holly had told me we'd be going camping, but while tents would have been an experience, I was happy to know we'd have the use of a Nash camping van. The camping ground, near Red Feather Lake was just... amazing. The landscape was breath-taking and the wildlife were out in force. ( "Ooooh, look a bear!" - "That's a chipmunk, John..." - "It's a bloody large chipmunk!" ).

At night we lit a campfire and I pretended to be a hunter / gatherer with all the mustering that a writer / ditherer could muster. Living in a city, you tend to forget how quiet the rural areas are and this was a welcome break from the traffic, smog and rat-race. It was wonderful to listen to the silence that you just don't get with the ambient noise of a city. Later, with 'Somewhere over the Rainbow...' playing quietly on the music system, the moon rising through the sky and a only-slight chill to the higher altitude weather, it was a perfect ending to a perfect day.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  2. Anonymous says:

    Well following your comment I thought I'd check out your blog again and return the favour. I take back the last email. You've obviously been busy since I last logged on to this site!

    Spooky or wot - you mention TPB too. Love that movie so much - forgotten how much till I rewatched it at the weekend. Someone 'borrowed' my copy years ago and still haven't got it back but my kind friend replaced it for me on Friday.

    Hadn't seen Gothika before - fell asleep half way thro but somehow think the gaping holes in the plot would have been there whether I was concious or not.

    The Simpsons movie is rather good - well it appealed to my sense of humour even though I'm not a die hard fan - just watch the series now and again.

    Love the kittens!

    D

  3. Cheers, D. The fact that everyone I know is setting up blogs just spurred me to do something with the one that had been sitting here for ages. Now looks MUCH better. Will ctach the Simpsons if and when they bother sorting something out for oop north!

Leave a Reply