So. The Vancouver trip went well... then it was on to Denver by way of LAX... good job I like flying (or at least getting to new places eventually).

Denver was warmer than I thought it would be in October and though not quite as hot as LA it was in the late 70s most of the three days I was there (It seems I bring good weather with me whenever I go somewhere, so ya boo sucks to the naysayers ;) )

Holly picked me up from the airport late on the Wednesday and we went to her new house which, like a tardis, is humble on the outside but is much bigger on the inside. There's a lot of work to do, but it's already looking fine. A brief chat and a beer and then Holly headed to bed as she had to be up in the morning to speechify to up-and-coming journos at the college (My advice to them: 'Don't bother! the pay is lousy, the hours are terrible and, frankly, I don't need the competition!' I stayed up a bit, unwound and then went to sleep watching TV shows on my laptop.

Thursday and the aforementioned speech apparently went well and I got to meet more of Holly's editorial team on the now famous (nay infamous) Collegian - for which she acts as official advisor and which has had its time in the national (US) spotlight recently when their editor ran the following headline "Tazer This. Fuck Bush!" (*Holly - as advisor - ironically not being forewarned of such before it happened)

Holly had the rest of the days I was there off, so they were spent exploring the local scenery - that even Holly was new to - and chilling out. I rode her new horse Mariah (a lovely animal and very tolerant of me) and we had a few drinks with friends Kit and Ariel who swung by to see the new place. Kit especially helped with the removal and remodelling of one of the bedroom doors. My favourite line of the Friday evening was when we met several of Holly's friends in a bar and, upon meeting Kit and Ariel, one said matter-of-factly: 'A stuntman married to a ballerina... boy, your sex life must SO not suck!' Priceless.

After too short a stay I was back on a plane to LAX and then the UK ( good job I...see above etc etc). Made it home late Sunday and slept for ten hours straight.

Dammit. No space left to mention the Minature Sicilian Guard Donkeys or the Dogs of Unusual Shaving. Well, apparently, just enough.

Check out a wider range of pix at: http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/JohnMosby/Americana%20and%20Canadicana/

Leave a Reply