There's an old saying in our family. Actually it's a relative new one, but it still rings true. It goes: 'Don't Mess with a Moz' (It's like Galaxy Quest's ' never retreat, never surrender...' maxim, but from a more wuthering climate)


We Mosbys are a reasonable, easy-going bunch but if people mess with us or people we know, we tend to stand our ground and not give in to pressure. It's not opportunistic, but if there's a time we KNOW we're being short-changed or taken advantage of, we don't give in to a war of attrition. Years ago I spent nearly six months and risked a court-case because I KNEW I'd been overcharged for a gas bill by over £300. The gas company swore they NEVER make mistakes and swore they'd make me pay but after months of wrangling I was able to use documented proof and a little bit of common-sense to get them to admit that 'Whoops, yes we kinda did. Sorry. Shoulda spotted that earlier, goshdarnit!' Damn right. That - and my mum's similar run-ins and triumphs over the years - make me not take the crap from bullying big corporations, even when they hit you with indifferent sales-staff, dishonest representatives and un-relentingly stupid advice that never helps resolve the issue at hand.

I'm not going to go through all my experiences with PC World. Regular readers (I'm sure there are SOME) can check back through my recent blog entries. However I am going to say that about ten days after being told by a rep that my ongoing complaint had reached an impasse (and to generally go forth and reproduce with myself) and subsequently firing off a very indignant letter to the Managing Director of PC World, I just received a letter with a pretty decent high-ranking apology and the admission that I was right, the service HAS been consistently dreadful and, yes, I should be getting a cheque to cover my long, drawn-out troubles.

Can I have a whoo and a hoo? Yes, I think I can.

It's not a remotely big cheque and it hasn't actually turned up yet. But it's just enough to reinforce my faith in constructive complaining. Always be polite. Always be thruthful. Always be willing to go to the top. Never let the bastards grind you down. And never be too afraid to mention you just happen to edit a national magazine and PR payback would be a bitch.

Leave a Reply