Today, I picked up my glasses. Yes, after years of being the only person in my immediate family with 20/20 eye-sight, it turns out that it's more like 22/18. According to the optician I visited just before Christmas, it's not that I'm desperately in need of them, but that one eye is showing just a little more strain than the other and given the headaches I'll be prone to for a while, they suggested it was a good idea to help with general eye-strain etc.

I'll only need them for close-up work on the computer or lengthy stays in front of a monitor, but looking in the mirror, it's going to take me a while to get used to them. Even on a limited scale.

I am however, warmly reminded of that classic scene in the '90s series Lois and Clark when a time-traveller from the future shows complete disdane of Ms Lane's investigative reporter skills...

Lois: If you wanna kill Superman, I don't know why you're going to Smallville or 1966.

Tempus: She doesn't know yet. Oh, this is good. This is really good. Um, Lois, did you know that, in the future, you're revered at the same level as Superman? Why... there are books about you, statues, an interactive game. You're even a breakfast cereal.

Lois: Really?

Tempus: Yes. But, as much as everybody loves you, there is one question that keeps coming up: "How dumb was she?' Here, I'll show you what I mean. Look [puts glasses on] I'm Clark Kent. [Takes glasses off] No, I'm Superman. [Puts glasses on] Mild-mannered reporter. [Takes glasses off] Superhero! Hello! Duh! Clark Kent IS Superman. Ha, ha, ha. Well, that was worth the whole trip!

I have the glasses and the journo credentials. Just gotta work on the bullet-proof physique. Not working so far.

3 Responses so far.

  1. When I first got glasses, I opted for large, Diana Prince style frames in the hope I might turn into Wonder Woman but about 3 years ago I finally gave up and swapped them for trendier, smaller frames. However I hear big frames are back in fashion so I may be making a trip to the optician myself soon... Post a pic so we can see what your 'mild mannered' alter-ego looks like

  2. Anonymous says:

    I second the request for a pin-up self-portrait but I'd also like to see more photos generally, please. You take great photos, it would be nice to see more.

  3. Pic of me as 'Clark' to follow, probably tomorrow. Will also post on Facebook which has a better 'album' facility at the mo. (You on Facebook, Ally?)

    More of my photographic endeavours being sorted as we speak. Just scanning some of the older ones to run alongside digital examples! :)

Leave a Reply