Yes, it's nearly 1:30am and the reason I'm posting is that I'm living through a very physical example of irony. I'm currently at the Yotel at Heathrow as (hopefully) my flight leaves early in the morning. There was quite a bit of noise coming through the walls earlier, sounding like a few repairs going on - distracting - but nothing which was going to keep me from having an early night. However an hour ago I was woken from my troublesome doze by what sounded like a jackhammer on the other side of the wall. Funnily enough it appears there IS a jackhammer on the other side of my wall - there is some construction going on at the airport and... yes, wait for the punchline here... they're having to do it at night so NOT TO DISTURB THE OFFICE WORKERS DURING THE DAY!

Decided enough was enough and went round to the main desk to complain and was promptly joined by two other guests understandably complaining of the same thing. Though it's not Yotel construction as far as I can tell, the front desk were only semi-helpful. They've given ear-plugs - whch isn't much use as this is a vibration issue as much as noise and I believe I'll be refunded my money. But I did point out that it's unfair to Yotel customers and if Yotel DID know this was a problem, they shouldn't have rented out the rooms knowing there's be this level of noise. Nobody could sleep through this. It'd like living with a dentist.

The noise faded about 1:10 and after trying to get to sleep - and failing - the noise has started again in full force. Though Yotel as a concept is a good one and the rooms pefectly fine, this is the second problem I've had (the first was when they failed to open on time last October and I had to stay elsewhere) and it's hardly good PR for them.

Fingers crossed I get to sleep on the plane.

Leave a Reply