A while ago I was joking to someone about my role behind the scenes in the HLWW organisation. In a moment of perhaps ego-tempered-with-humour, I said I was the 'Josh Lyman' of the group, the one most likely to crack a one-liner while putting some words together that sounded good for any of the key decisions made. (I just realised that would make Carmel Macpherson, Martin Sheen, which I hope she takes as a compliment!).

But it also got me thinking about how much I miss The West Wing and especially Bradley Whitford as the aforementioned Josh. I mean, seriously, there are plenty of funny tv shows out there, there are plenty that are reasonably clever and well written, but I can't think of any show since WW went off-air that anywhere in the ballpark of this superbly written outing (honourary mention to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, also by Sorkin for at least trying). There are just SO many scenes in The West Wing that are punch-the-sky fun that it's hugely depressing that there isn't currently a show that could compare...and whatever political persuasion you are, Barlett is the kind of leader most people would like to think they deserve - even with his imperfections and foibles.

I was trawling YouTube for some of my favourite memories and found loads of classics, from dealing with bigots to the assassination attempt, to CJ in full-flow to the debates, to Toby singing the MASH theme and the final scene of the entire run... however my favourite is and always will be, I think, a slightly lower-key moment, but one that is ALL about character and is probably one of the best pay-off romantic lines ever uttered on television.

Over to Josh, Donna, red lights and Sorkin at his best, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMe0ARDqS6k if it doesn't play here...)

Leave a Reply