It's the ears, isn't it? Walking up from Jill's house to her work tonight (about ten minutes in a straight line - gotta love the American grid system even outside the major cities) I was wrapped up well, but the cold, biting breeze got the ears first. Like some temperature radar or as if someone, somewhere was griping about me (what are the chances?), the burning sensation of the cold starts on the ears first. Then possibly the nose. Thankfully all other parts of torso and limbs were covered by gloves, the clompers or my rather stylish long woolen coat that I inherited from my grandad and which seems to give me a certain stylish swish that makes me feel I should be back in some classy college or shouting 'allonzy!' a lot and running after cybermen. Which wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm just saying.


AND...I'm typing this on MY laptop - after finally working out how to get it connected to the Net. However the flipside is that now Jill's desktop isn't connected, so this may be a very temporary state of affairs. As the old 20th Century maxim goes... 'To err is human. To screw things up requires a computer'.

And so, with a rambling blog (which can only be eclipsed by my stunning Bush-level word flip tonight when I was asked if Nathan Fillion was American and I replied 'No, he comes from Canadia' - to which Jill has barely stopped chortling into her Kaluha) I guess this is the last entry of 2008. It's been quite a year (I blame the 366 day length for going that bit too far) full of money issues (thankfully in MUCH better shape than when I started the year), health issues (thankfully in MUCH better shape than when I started November) and fitness issues (frustratingly in exactly the SAME shape as before the regime I started in August). People have consistently surprised me in good and bad ways and as a consequence I've learned lessons in both utter humility and when to be something of a ruthless bastard. Everything in moderation.

Fare thee well, 2008 you little misbegotten mutt of compromise. Hello, 2009, you saucy little minx, full of promise. Lets try something with at least as much adventure but a little less drama this time... whatdyasay?

And I swear. I haven't touched a drop yet.


3 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    If you want to pretend you're chasing Cybermen then go for it John. Someone will be happy to add them later in Photoshop.

    I am also happy to read about somewhere colder than London feels right now. i may have to invest in a DW style coat! :D

  2. I do so recommend the long coat thing. There's a very practical reasoning and also a very satisfying swish to it. SO glad I brought it and my clompy boots - as both have proved invaluable in Iowa.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Go on, John, indulge your female fanbase and give us a few action shots in the Doctor Who outfit...

    And I don't know or much care how good an actor Matt Smith is, he's just too young to be The Doctor.

Leave a Reply