It seems most of the UK is reeling from the 'biggest storm of the winter' (tm pending). However we've barely been touched here in Leeds and, in fact, it was sunny when I woke up. It's now looking drizzly and overcast but if this is the worst we get then I'm sure my stiff upper lip will see me through. I'm sure there HAS been flooding and wind damage elsewhere (the picture opposite suggests so) and I hope everyone's okay, but those weathermen in the south do panic at the merest sign of a snowflake or raindrop, so I wasn't bracing myself. When we do get a big storm here, I promise to moan/gripe as much as anyone.

Thankfully, I also found time to do a little wash and brush up on the site. No major changes, just a slight reordering. Still some changes to tweak, but hopefully it looks just a little better. I still need t0 get around to sorting the photo portfolio etc.

The biggest news-story of recent days is the RAF advising their troops not to wear their uniforms in public here in the UK because they're getting abuse because of the war in Iraq. This is, of course, utterly ridiculous and inexcusable - both on the part of the RAF bosses and the less intelligent members of the public. These people are risking their lives and I don't have to totally agree with the 'cause' to understand the courage it takes so serve your country full-stop. Shout at the politicians, point fingers at the people making a ton of money off the carnage, but don't prod the soldier who's chosen to defend you. They deserve better from their government and us.

Disengage rant mode. Engage article writing mode. Find chocolate.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Completely agree on both storm and uniform observations. Although as a hardy Scot now living in the soft sooth I'm used to unnecessary panicking about the weather. However, as it's currently blowing a gale outside I'd better not tempt fate....

    As for the hoo ha over uniforms, I've lived in several areas near barracks and always felt safer when soldiers weren't in civillian clothes. Although certain locals were always looking for a fight the army guys seemed to feel the need to behave when they looked 'official'. Anyway I think most females would agree you can never have enough men wearing uniforms.....

    D

Leave a Reply