I took my first full day in Sydney relatively easy and though I was up early (slight mistake in the time-zone difference when I used a 'wrong' clock as my reference) I decided to simply refamiliarise myself with the city layout.

I took the train into Sydney mid-morning - it only takes about 10minutes from here to Circular Quay - and walked around parts of the sea-front, an obligatory return to the Sydney Opera House than back and into the city to walk around the shops (found major book outlets that stock Steve's book - it's everywhere I tell you!) and comic outlets as well as the everyday shops you'll find in any city. Took a stroll around the Royal Victoria Building with its many shops and grabbed a sandwich at Subway.

Kerry was probably right in her recent blog about her trip here - some parts of the city could be anywhere; some of the lovely shopping arcades themselves are not that different from the arcades and Victoria Quarter in Leeds, but the better weather makes all the difference when you're walking around. The centre of the city is a mix of old and new, steel structures reaching for the sky and also some older, more interesting buildings tucked away. But it's also got trees scattered here and there and it feels much cleaner than most cities in England.

Though it's been several years since I was last out here, it's amazing what comes back and I easily remembered the short cuts across to Darling Harbour.

Not been able to get online as much as the wireless isn't working here at the moment and these entries have to be put on from carmel's laptop. But I'm able to check e-mails and regualr websites etc, so I'll just have to learn to not be so web-obssessed. Today, my Wednesday, everyone else's Tuesday (learn to live with it) will be an equally relaxing day. I have some Impact work to do and chase-up, but otherwise this week's just a chill-out time. Plans for Cairns or any other trips, I'll work out over the coming weekend.

Until then, strolls, sun, possibly some sand (if I get to Manly Harbour today) and maybe some work on that novel.

Can't have Steve being the talk of the town in EVERY town.

Leave a Reply