As a kid - and in days when it was much safer - I used to spend my spare time going off with my fellow ankle-biters into the woods to try and catch newts and frogs and the like. I'd spend hours scurrying through undergrowth and wondering how far I could technically push my parents' rules abouyt where to go and where not to, without breaking them.

Tonight I took a short walk from Jilly's house, down by the railroad tracks (not in use at the mo)and found myself by the banks of the Sioux River and straight back to my childhood quests. The sun was setting over the river, the bridge stood tall and silent and with 'Stand by Me' relevance and the lightning bugs just added that special kind of atmosphere that usually resides only in memory. Yes it was well and truly magical. I now have the photos - which don't quite do it justice - and the midge-bites ('what...you've been bitten by midgets?' - Jilly) to prove it.

Just another reason to love this place.

It's now Sunday night here and have another 36hrs or so in Iowa which is a real shame as I'd gladly stay here longer. Though Jilly says there's so little to really 'do' around here, the fact is that's something of a blessing and even major cities like LA, London etc are only 'busier' if you haven't done their attractions already. Give me small-town America with it's limited traffic, safe environment and it's neighbo(u)rly neighbou(r)ing and I'm just as happy.

On 4th July we went across to Jilly's brother's family where we had a great barbeque and then let off a serious amount of fireworks. Jilly helped her nephew destroy a Matchbox car by attaching bottle rockets to it. Or rather she didn't, as Matchbox apparently make an indestructable car... unless you eventually take out your frustrated pyromaniac tendecies with a household hammer. I'm just saying.

I've had a great time and even helping stack some shelves at Jilly's work and clearing up dog poopie (Listen, I'll deny I've ever used the term poopie, so let's not dwell on it any longer) didn't seem like hard work. Jilly's doing well and though she'll be limping for a while yet, she will soon be back at work on a restricted/part-time basis which will get her out of the house but not cause too much stress or difficulty (the store is only five minutes away).

I've been lucky enough to travel the world and though it'll be good in some ways to get home, I can honestly say that I look forward to being back in Iowa before too long.

Leave a Reply