Another busy week. I went down to London late on Sunday for an early Monday morning start with Batman, The Dark Knight. There was a press screening at the big IMAX screen near Waterloo Station and it was... quite stunning. Not remotely the 'superhero' movie I was expecting - more like an episode of Law & Order or the movie HEAT, with added kevlar. Christian Bale is good, but the rumours are true... Heath Ledger is simply outstanding as the Joker, a sociopath criminal who isn't in it for profit but just simply to 'see things burn'. It's an amzing tour-de-force eprformance from the late actor and worht the price of admission alone. However the rest of the film doesn't disappoint and Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart and Sir Michael Caine are all good too.


I got to ask them some questions later in the day and at the risk of name-dropping (I'll risk it) director Christopher Nolan told me that...


"Certainly in doing this kind of film you want to challenge expectations, you want to meet them in one sense but then you do want to try and challenge the audience to accept slightly different shifting elements to the film the film than perhaps they are expecting. But at the same time I never really viewed this as a super hero film, I don’t really view the superhero film as a genre. I felt that if it is a genre we would be in terrible trouble being the fifth comic book derived superhero movie of this summer and luckily audiences seem to agree with me that these are very different things and where they come from and what the source material is isn’t necessarily relevant to what the films will be, these characters are all very different..." I'll be typing up the rest for Impact #201

Also got the chance to go and see Avenue Q in the West End which is best described as 'the adult version of the muppets/Sesame Street'. Today's letter is H for Hilarious!

Not in at Impact this week as Neal is away on holiday, but must keep writing so he's got stuff to do when he gets back! In the meantime there's been a ton of design work. I've been busy on designing several websites for friends (and finishing the teaser images for what I think I can now safely reveal is HLWW9 - I'll post that image later this week). Sadly none of the web stuff is paying work per se, but it's good practice. And as Carmel says, I really DO need to finish putting together the portfolio of my work to start fully profiting from it.

However... just won £20 on the lottery. Hey, it's a start.

Leave a Reply