W ell, the week flew by. The second trip to London was interesting. First, I watched the first UK press screening of GI Joe. I'd love to tell you what I thought of it, but contractually I'm not even allowed to review it on my blog until the start of April, never mind elsewhere - suffice to say it wasn't as bad as Transformers - but that's a given.

Sarah, from the film distributors, took a group of us for a meal in Soho where we discussed the merits of movies, basic tips to make events like Cinema Days work better and the woeful state of the business (no-one's doing well). Then a smaller group of us retired back to the hotel bar and set the world to rights, talking about life, love and laughter for an hour or so. The actual hotel itslf was quite plush and the bedrooms very relaxing. I was out like a light and up early for the press conference the following day.

That was aboard HMS Belfast, the warship moored just down from Tower Bridge. Nice idea, but not that practical. The publicity 'battle' beforehand was scuppered by health and safety rules, but the conference was light and frothy (a little like the Thames). Worth going down for, but not full of any great insights.



The new Impact is now back form the printers. I fought for a posteresque Inglourious Basterds cover and it looks good. Slightly annoyed I didn't catch the fact that we correctly wrote 'Inglorious' when it should have been incorrectly spelled Inglourious as per the title of the film, but I was concentrating more on Basterds not being the problem! Darn that Tarantino guy!

No more press trips next week - just can't afford them - but plenty of work to do to keep me off the streets. Need to write two issues of Impact work before heading to Iowa next month and so I doubt I'll have much time to go off gallavanting beforehand. However there seems to be lots of interesting news coming out Comic-Con in San Diego, so I'll have to live vicariously and just write about them, instead.

Other good news: Jilly's scoring consistent As in her college assignments so I fully expect her to be teaching me a thing or two about pen(wo)manship before I return...

Leave a Reply