I've had a busy few days. I went out for a drink with Simon Hopkinson (website) on Sunday night. Having finished some last minute  Impacty things, he suggested I should have a drink in one of our old locals. It's been a number of years since our last catch-up and now he's permenantly back in the UK there was plenty of time to talk about America (where he lived for several years), England, beer, the Internet, mad women, politics and healthcare. Yes, indeed, never let it be said that ex-SNYG members don't know how to party!  I should be getting together with Simon and Glenn Hewitt in the near future for more craziness.

On Monday morning I saw the new Harry Potter film. Now, I've never read a single line of the J K Rowling books, so I always go with what's on screen. However I get the feeling (apparently quite rightly) that there's a ton of stuff missing from the screen version of The Half-Blood Prince. The problem is, it shows. I was left sitting there at several points thinking 'Have I missed something?' While it's a fine-looking film and has some great photography with some impressive set-pieces, the plot jumps around and can't quite disguise the many holes. Dumbledore's missing! But, no, wait, here he is in the next scene, so he must be okay. At least for now!  It all feels like a Equity-renewal line for British thesps and a teaser for the final book (separated into the next two films) which, hey, I suppose it always was.

This coming weekend it's off to London for the LFCC which is like the SDCC, but  a) a tad smaller, b) a tad nearer and c) in London, not San Diego. (And they admit it's also about Films as well as Comics). Will hopefully catch up with Mark Ryan and chat with a few key people for upcoming Impact issues.  Next week there's some G I Joeiness on the Thames.  All fun, all accumulativly expensive, so will have to juggle  a bit.

Tonight: last bits of Impact 'Coming Soon' text to do, more watching of the news (and the rather genuinely touching footage of the people of Wooten Basset lining the streets to pay tribute to the homecoming of fallen UK soliders - more worthwhile, genuine emotion there than in a whole tour of Michael Jackson tributes) and checking of ebay bits and pieces.  Tomorrow, HLWW design stuff.

Feeling a tad under-the-weather, so, hopefully, a LITTLE bit of a lie-in though as well....

2 Responses so far.

  1. Gemma MacW says:

    Hi John. It's been awhile since we were in touch and I heard you were sick. Found you on Bierly's blog. Glad to see you're doing better. Enjoy Comic Con.

    Your blog looks really cool. I like that Dumbledore's missing/ Equity-renewal comment. LOL

    Get out from under the weather and stay cheeky.

    Gemma/Bobbie

  2. Hey Gemma

    How goes it? Things much better for me now on all fronts. Just need to start earning more :) Will be back in the US next month and hoping for better weather than the UK! Keep in touch now you've found me again! - J

Leave a Reply