I had a few drinks with Glenn Hewitt and Jonny Parker last night (Tuesday) at The Black Bull, once my local pub, but an establishment I've barely been in recently. I haven't seen Glenn for a few years as our plans to meet up always seemed to end up with one of us having to cancel at the last minute, though we've always kept in touch. It's been over a decade since I saw Jonny P, but he hasn't changed much. Simon Hopkinson was supposed to make it down to Horsforth as well but his dad wouldn't let him have the car! (Parents!!!!)


Glenn's managed to nearly lose a finger in a train/ticket-machine/door interface, so is off the conducting schedules and is now the (remaining) fingers behind the screen lies announcements of delays you see while waiting at the smaller Leeds stations. He still never drinks alcohol nor swears like a trooper, but does have snakes named after the Nolan sisters. The first two of those statements are outright lies, the third is totally accurate and somewhat morally disturbing.  Jonny, fresh-ish from a job as a career-advisor is now... unemployed and has learned the art of ordering half a coke and making it last ninety minutes. I'm sure there's an official eastern name for that unique and impressive martial-art.

Glenn politely informs me that we've all put weight on, so I guess I need to put more effort into the putting in of more effort. I'm determined to be a half a stone lighter by Christmas, as long as I don't have to give up Jaffa Cakes.  We caught up on all the gossip  - some of it positively soap-operatic - and decided we had to do these meetings more often now that we're all back in the same-ish area. It might be after I'm back from Iowa as that's only a  few weeks away), but it'll be fun to do so.

Now... off to write articles and win the lottery...

One Response so far.

  1. Simon says:

    hehe! I do feel like a kid again, in so many ways.. but unfortunately not excluding the car-pool scenario! :( I'll be there next time!

Leave a Reply