S o, then. Quite a week on the life and death front. Ignoring the 'King of Pop' as most journos aren't wont to do, I've been in Iowa where Jilly's dad passed away this past weekend without the benefit of an army of helicopters, broadcasting vans, wall-to-wall network punditting and vox pop interviews.

I met Lyle a few times since my visits to see Jilly started last year and despite being quite frail, he was a brightly intelligent, observant man with a knack for building model planes and winning at card games (could never be quite sure whether he was cheating or not!). He was a man of great experience and taste - and hey, he liked me, so obviosuly a great judge of character.

While his passing wasn't unexpected after he suddenly fell ill in the last two weeks, the actual passing was much quicker than anticpated and naturally it's never easy when it happens. I'm really glad I made the decision to fly out immediately to be with Jilly - and her whole family have been great and welcoming. I feel like one of the family, I'm helping as best I can where I can and may well be one of the pallbearers at tomorrow's service.

It's not been an easy week by any stretch, but quite an experience on all fronts. This was an unscheduled trip - both a sad reason and a good excuse to be with Jilly - but I'll be back in the UK next week to meet magazine deadlines etc and out here again next month as originally planned for a longer stay. I discover more each time I'm here.

Rest in Peace, Lyle.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I like this blog, speaks well of your priorities. I had a dance teacher last week, when asked if he wanted to do some kind of tribute to Michael Jackson he said, "Many other people died too last night that I know just as well." You are in a different boat here but I think its important to remember whats, well... important. And it sounds like this man was. Thanks for your blog and thanks for being there for Jil even though I dont know her. Give her an extra hug for me.

Leave a Reply