L ast night was a time for a bit of navel / star gazing. I joined Simon Hopkinson and Paul Beck for several drinks at the Black Bull, probably our first 'local' when we barely old enough to drink (and, even then, not quite legally).


It used to be a real dive, but was a wonderful mix of all types - bikers, elderly gentlemen, businessmen and students all in dark, smokey rooms with more alcohol on the carpet than in the glasses. Yes, I know, I over-sell it.  It shut down at one point and opened as (what it thought was) a more prestigious venue... cleaner, posher, with installed bouncers on the door and immediately lost any and all character, charm and our patronage. Glad to say that the modern version may be cleaner and prettier but seems much more inviting than its middle incarnation.

Paul had had three pints already when we got there and he managed to work his way through more. It was great to catch up and we worked out who of the old gang were around and what they'd been up to. Though he looks the same, Paul's now married with two kids which just made Simon and I feel even older. We then argued about life, love, politics and the existence of God. Simon used to be quite religious but has now gone over to the dark side. However Paul's job involves getting paid for sampling beer therefore proving the existence of a higher power.

We eventually ran Paul home and poured him into his driveway with promsies we'd do it all again soon. Then the main thrust of the evening began. The Perseids meteor shower was due to start giving a good celestial show and so Simon and I drove out into the Yorkshire Dales and up to Ribblehead viaduct (where there was no light pollution). There were several shooting stars seen over the next few hours and if it wasn't quite the lightshow promsied it was still quite powerful to be standing under a wide, dark and fairly clear sky. I didn't get many great shots (though check out Simon's blog for some really impressive exposures, so to speak) as I wasn't able to keep the camera shutter manually open for long enough, but I manged some effective shots of the landscape thanks to Simon's car headlights. The top shot is at around 3:00am, though in reality it was much, much darker than the shot suggests.

Around 4:00am we headed back and I managed to grab some shots of Chelker Reservoir as dawn broke. Always interesting to see the start of the day from the wrong side.
It definitely makes me want to head out and about and get some good, atmospheric photographs. The likes of Whitby, York and other old places spring to mind in the UK and I fully intend to make the most of my time in Iowa (now only ten days and counting!).
Right now, I'm ploughing through articles for Impact, readying to launch a little project I'll be telling you about shortly and next week I look set to head to London to talk to Kathryn Bigelow (director of The Hurt Locker)... and then finishing packing.

But now, I'm just going to check outside. I hear the lightshow continues... and as we three Yorkshiremen noted last night, what's life without a few fireworks?

Leave a Reply