Well, this could be my last evening in Sydney. I say could because of my 'standby' status on flights leaving the city tomorrow and the availability of seats on those. I will be trying to avoid economy status (nouveau euro-snob!) or very long/short change-overs if at all possible en route. Carmel will be checking during the morning tomorrow to gauge my chances and, luckily I always have the option of rescheduling and flying a few days later if it's particularly full or problematic. My budget won't like that, but I won't complain: seeing Sydney Harbour Bridge and the waterfront everyday will Never. Get. Old.

Unlike the UK (apparently) today wasn't that bright and sunny (not cold, but not scorching and thankfully threatened storms held off) so I decided not to risk the day off at Manly or head up to Leura, so I stuck to more nearby attractions including the photogenic Botanic Gardens and a stroll up George Street (where I got a large print of Carmel with her mum and daughter produced as a thank-you gift).

This evening Carmel took me out for a departure meal and I managed to scoff a steak by the quayside near the Bridge - a pretty impressive structure at night (the bridge, not me). The city is somewhat magical after the sun's gone down, the shadows and neon hiding a multitude of proable sins that just aren't obvious in the bright light of day. Managed to take some long exposure that came out pretty well.

Currently finishing the last bits of packing. As always, finding lonely socks here and there that I was convinced I'd already sorted. Will give the room a once-over when I DO leave just to make sure nothing is left behind (tempted to leave the video camera that I got from eBay a few weeks ago as it's failed in ever annoying/expanding degrees miserably. A wasted £60).

When I get home there's a ton of stuff to kick-start: design-work, updating the portfolio, looking for a new house, starting a serious get fit regime and also the possibility of another trip, this time to help Jill recover in Iowa. Fingers everso crossed.

In short this year is turning out to not only be speeding through, but also up-to-the-brim with travel and opportunities. I hope to waste neither.

And yes, the insightful '40' thoughts is on its way soon.

Leave a Reply