So, let me see if I've got this right... as of today or soon, most major airline will now be charging you extra to take your luggage with you. Up until now, we brave international travellers have struggled with one free carry-on and one/two free 'checked-in' luggage. We've stood at home on scales with cases and done mental artithmetic on how much each bag weighs so that we aren't hammered for excess baggage (metaphorical story of my life) when we get to the terminal. We've put sharp objects favoured by terrorists (like nail clippers and tooth-picks) in safe places where we can't reach them during flights, left our half-finished drinks in waste-bins so that we don't blow up an aircraft with 10 floz of Fanta and we've allowed our shoes to be sniffed as we attempt to leave the country (How many GCSEs needed for that employment opportunity?).

Now, it appears, those days may be coming to an end. If reports are true, other airlines may follow the example of American Airlines and you will have to pay extra for your baggage to go with you - though it seems to be hitting US domestic travellers first. It's all down to the price of oil and the airlines companies fearing a huge fall in profits and sustainability. Which is ironic... because couple this factor with the ludicrous US security levels (and in other news, all our census information may soon have to be handed over America, reports the Daily Mail - and for once striking a possibly reasonable rallying cry of 'WHAT?!?') and it will put off families and budget-trippers from travelling altogether.

It won't hit me as hard yet - I'm lucky that I've been able to travel more widely and cheaply than some due to my work and colleagues, but there's a foreseeable point in the future when people will be start to think this whole 'foreign lands' things is over-rated and far too costly if you have to mortgage your cat and provide a foreign government with details of your inside leg measurement as part of their fight on the war on terror.

Sydney, Los Angeles... I love you dearly and forever. But mark my words...local seaside outings to Filey and Reighton Gap, the holidays of my youth, may yet get their time in the spotlight again.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I've been paying a fiver for each hold bag I take on flights between Southampton and Edinburgh for over a year now. 10 kilos of free hand baggage helps a bit but it's still a pain. I wouldn't mind but the flights themselves have got more expensive, well technically not the flights but those damned taxes. It's the taxes that are the problem as the flights themselves are often so cheap now that the airlines feel OBLIGED to make money elsewhere. During my last UK flight a girl behind me was throwing up, the cabin crew asked if she wanted water, brought it to her then 10 mintes later asked her mum for £1.50 for the bottle! Words fail me....

Leave a Reply